Home
Download
How it works
3D Technologies
Compatible Games
Community
Support

Please note: Due to iZ3D Discontinuing Operations on July 31st, 2012
This forum is no longer moderated by iZ3D staff.

View Watched Topics Join Mailing List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iZ3D Forum Index -> 3D Devices Support -> Other Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Topic:  Passive 3D FPR Users Setup Guide
skyguy
Top Contributor

PostPosted: June 16, 2011, 03:33:45 PM    Post subject: Passive 3D FPR Users Setup Guide Reply with quote

Hello,

This guide is to help setup your monitor or TV for those that are using passive TV screens. These screens include those that are using Real D glasses and are circular polarized. The directions provided here apply to both Nvidia graphics cards and AMD graphics cards.

Each monitor will have different color settings that may need to be adjusted for, I will be including the values for my TV, the LG 55LW5600 that effectively remove most of the ghosting. Other LG Cinema 3D or passive screens will exhibit the same amount of ghosting and the difference will be in the video settings that will help remove the ghosting. If you want the best input response and best picture quality for interleave, the Toshiba will be the best passive TV to get.

Update 7/23/11, LG has updated their firmware for decreased lag input on the PC input in 3D mode so I am including updated Video settings
9/20/11 LG has released the new 1080 algorithm on firmware 4.01.30 that reduces the appearance of lines and improves picture quality per eye and improved lag input for Side by Side 3D. Trumotion must be turned on to enable.
12/22/11 AMD has released updated drivers to support crossfire in 3D for AMD HD3D mode. Also, AMD has added in frame-sequential support.

Required Software:
IZ3D driver http://www.iz3d.com/driver
All outputs are included when you purchase the IZ3D license.
Stereoscopic Player (trial) http://3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx

On the LG 55LW5600 TV I have noticed that the modes that have no ghosting are Side by Side, Frame packing 1.4a mode and the new IZ3D shutter output for Frame Sequential. Interleave mode has 10% ghosting prior to adjusting the video settings and Checkerboard mode has 15% ghosting. It is important to always use the latest firmware because there will be optimizations for 3D included.

The first step is to install the IZ3D drivers 1.13 Release candidate. During the install process, select "Full" installation instead of IZ3D monitor in order to get all 3D modes activated. Make sure to not switch monitor or TV after doing this step because every setting set afterwards will work best for the monitor or TV only.

Next restart computer and enable IZ3D drivers, you can right click to enable the drivers and it is good to always press apply a few times.

Next set the resolution to the native resolution, in my case it is 1920x1080 and 60 Hz.

Now on the TV remote go to the aspect ratio and change to Just Scan mode.
On the TV, go to the Input List Menu and go to the Input Label Menu and make sure the input for the cable you have connected into the TV which can be HDMI 1 is labeled PC. Once this is set, the Aspect Ratio will show 16:9 which is correct only in PC mode.

Next in the graphics driver you need to set the overscan level all the way to the right to 0 which should remove the black bars from the sides to fill the screen completely. If this is not set correctly, you will have problems with 3D in Interleave mode because this mode requires pixel perfect alignment to the FPR layer of the screen.

The next step depends if you have a LG Passive 3D TV or a Vizio Passive 3D. For LG TV's go to the IZ3D menu and switch the mode to Interleaved, Horizontal Optimized.
For Vizio 3D TV's switch mode to Zalman Mode.

Now test the setting by going into help and click on the static test and click on this to make sure the 3D is shown correctly.

For AMD users, click on Diagnostic in the Help menu and scroll down all the way to the bottom and make sure Surface format ATI AQBS is supported. This setting will be needed to be on in order for the 1.4a frame packing mode to work.

Now onto the video settings:
Note, each video setting in 3D mode needs to be set individually and they do not transfer over to other settings.

Option 1:
Interleaved mode is the native mode of the screen and will run without any intervention in the 3d settings of the TV and will make it easy to play whether in windowed mode or full screen at 60 fps. This mode also allows you to watch 3d in Stereoscopic Player v1.7 or play games in a window or full screen. It also allows you to play at any resolution as long as you using IZ3D scaling mode.

Now go to C:\ProgramData\IZ3D Driver\ and edit the config.xml file with Notepad.
Find DisplayScalingMode="0" and set the value to "2"

This will allow you to play games full screen regardless of the resolution you choose in game, they will automatically scale to your native resolution.

Go into the TV setting and go to setup picture mode to Standard Video mode.

The settings are
Backlight 80
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 36
Color 60
LED Local Dimming Off

This mode after these changes should get ghosting reduction down to 3%.
3D mode needs to be calibrated correctly first before adjusting the final sharpness values. In order to do so, you need to have a still image with popout in 3D and adjust the sharpness values until the image becomes clear and pops out. The Sharpness value listed above has already been optimally calibrated for line-interleaved mode with PC label.

Option 2: For Vizio Passive 3D TV Users
Zalman Mode. Same as the Interleaved Mode but the right lines are sent to the top of the screen first to ensure FPR alignment correctly. Again, this is the native mode for Vizio TV users and allows you to play or watch movies in a window without enabling the 3D button on your remote. Make sure config.xml is set correctly for DisplayScalingMode=2

***Vizio users who buy the ALL Outputs Unlocked will need to use the Interleaved Output with Swap Eyes enabled Ctrl F8 because the Zalman output is not unlocked after purchasing at the moment.***

Option 3:
There is also the option of playing games in Side By Side mode. This mode has compatibility problems with mouse cursor placement and a reduction in resolution but is the easiest mode to work with and have no ghosting.

Each time you switch modes with the IZ3D driver 1.13 RC, you have to check that the config.xml is set correctly.

Find DisplayScalingMode="0" and make sure the value is "2"
In the LG Video settings, standard mode works here with no ghosting.
When starting a game, press the 3D button and select Side by Side Mode.

Option 4:
Checkerboard is another mode that can be used but on the LG TV, the ghosting levels are so high it is not worth using. This will halve the resolution almost two times to get 3D because of the nature of the FPR lines. The latest LG firmware on 7/6/2011 has removed the grain from this mode but ghosting is still present at the same capacity. This mode will need to be in full screen.

To start this mode, press the 3D button on the remote and select the Checkerboard pattern.

Option 5:
Frame packing mode. This mode with a Radeon 5870 and above with HDMI 1.4a AMD HD3D mode allows you to play at 1920x1080 at 24Hz which will limit your frame rate to 24 fps or 1280x720 60Hz to allow 60 fps limit. So only 2 resolutions are playable in this mode. When this mode is enabled, once a game starts, the TV will automatically prompt you to press ok to enable 3D mode. The latest LG firmware bypasses the prompt and automatically enters 3d mode when it detects the correct signal.

Option 6:
Frame Sequential Mode. This mode works by selecting the new IZ3D shutter output. This mode will work similar to AMD HD3D mode but has the advantage of breaking the 24 fps limit and instead you get 30 fps at 1920x1080. This is the better alternative to AMD HD3D mode but does have minor problems currently in its form, you may need to swap eyes with Ctrl F8 and sometimes there are graphics anomalies on the top of the screen. The other issue I have had is the game sometimes loses sync and then I have seen v-sync stutter issues similar to AMD HD3D mode. Press the Frame Sequential 3D mode in the 3D options on the remote before playing a game to activate this mode.

To access AMD HD3D frame sequential mode, the user needs to make sure the game and desktop must be set to 1920*1080 at 30Hz and selecting the AMD HD3D output in the drivers.

Option 7:
3DTV play, similar frame-packing output like AMD HD3D mode.
If you use an Nvidia card, you will be able to use this mode with the 3DTV Play software but at the same time you will lose the option to use the Side by Side, Interleave or Zalman, Frame-Sequential, and Checkerboard mode options I described previously. Currently, the 3dtv play output does not yet have a scaling mode optimization that allows the user to boost their frame rate by using a lower resolution step down from the native.

Option 8:
3D vision with supported Line-Interleaved 3D
The latest 3d vision drivers have now included native support for 1080p 60 fps gaming with certified passive display systems such as the 27-inch Acer HR274H and 27-inch ViewSonic V3D271. When buying an LCD with this support look for the Optimized with Nvidia logo to make sure you will have this gaming option supported. The advantage to this system is now you have the ability to play games at the native resolution of the display and all the processing will be done at the graphics card level so no additional input lag can occur withstanding the monitors display rate. As such, this option will allow you to have native 3d vision SLI support. With this you will also be able to use Tridef or IZ3D drivers too. The line interleaved support with 3d vision does not yet have a scaling optimization that the other 3rd party drivers do have.

Youtube now allows playback of Stereo 3D Clips in either Interleaved, Side by Side, and Checkerboard.

3D compatibility support thread http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=34848#34848
LG 55" Cinema 3D Passive

Last edited by skyguy on January 21, 2012, 04:32:33 AM; edited 10 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Did you find this post helpful or interesting?
efendy

PostPosted: July 06, 2011, 08:40:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guide, skyguy. thank you. I am eagerly waiting for the vizio set to try out. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Did you find this post helpful or interesting?
VectorRoll

PostPosted: July 24, 2011, 02:34:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got this working for me with my Vizio 42" 3DTV (E3D420VX).
But...
I still get the few errors.
The first one is this:
Quote:
This application has failed to start because d3dx10_43.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

This happens when I start things like Bad Company 2 and other games.

The second Error is this:
Quote:
Error loading C:\Program Files 9x86)\iZ3D Driver\Win64\S3DUtils.dll
The specified module could not be found.

It happens every time I try to use the Apply button in the Control Center for iZ3D

The third error is a flickering when I am playing the game.

I am basically using the Zalman output. With the DisplayedScalingMode set to "2".

When I finally got it working I had made the TV my main and only display. I am using a LapTop with a 9600M GS. I would have liked to try the Nvidia 3D feature but it will not install the options into the Nvidia Control Panel for me as my GPU is not supported for there 3D.

I think I need to do a bit of research into the setting for iZ3D as it just does not seem right in any of my games. Portal 2 was just completely off. Smile Messing with the Convergence and Separation options would not get it lined up at all. Autofocus does not seem to do anything at all.

I think I may be able to get it working better when I get my new DeskTop up and running. I am in the middle of building it and it will have a hell of a lot better GPU. If I was at my main house I would just try it on the DeskTop I have there, but I am in Florida for a few months to do a job.

If you all have any tips on how I can get the 3D to work better I would appreciate it. Right now I am just looking to try and stop the Flickering I get around the gun in Bad Company 2.

Last edited by VectorRoll on July 25, 2011, 05:04:44 PM; edited 1 time in total
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: July 25, 2011, 12:12:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you try to re-install DirectX and iZ3D driver?
Also you can try to un-install graphic card driver then re-install it.

Guig:man, not a playmate; simple customer!
Hypercube
Top Contributor

PostPosted: July 25, 2011, 12:41:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the "wrong" 3D: Press CTRL + F8, that should fix it.

Do you also have the d3dx10_43.dll problem when iz3D is deactivated? Either way, update your DirectX runtime and reinstall iz3D driver.

About flickering: Which resolution and refresh rate do you use?

VectorRoll

PostPosted: July 25, 2011, 05:04:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guig2000 wrote:
Have you try to re-install DirectX and iZ3D driver?
Also you can try to un-install graphic card driver then re-install it.

I have reinstalled the GPU driver and the iZ3D driver and it did not help. I tried it in different order as well if you are wondering. The GPU driver before and after the iZ3D driver. The only thing that seems to fix the DX message is uninstalling the iZ3D driver.

Hypercube wrote:
About the "wrong" 3D: Press CTRL + F8, that should fix it.
Do you also have the d3dx10_43.dll problem when iz3D is deactivated? Either way, update your DirectX runtime and reinstall iz3D driver.

About flickering: Which resolution and refresh rate do you use?

Yes it also happens when iZ3D is deactivated.

The resolution I use is 1920x1080 @ 60hz.
Thanks for mentioning this. I forgot to set that in the game and that helped fix the flickering and the 3D is a lot better.

I still get the DX error and the S3DUtils.dll error. I can live with the S3DUtils.dll error as it only happens when I try to apply things in the iZ3D Control Center. But the DX error is a pain. It pops up when my Screen Saver tries to start and even sometimes when I start up the OS.

I have yet to try the DX Runtime directly. I'll give it a try, but DX is included in the GPU drivers and uninstalling the iZ3D driver keeps fixes it so I should not have to reinstall the DX Runtime. But Anything is worth trying.
skyguy
Top Contributor

PostPosted: July 25, 2011, 05:28:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the directx update

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

It is a requirement to install even in windows 7 for iz3d. Don't know why it wasn't mentioned. At one point in time, I thought the installer would tell you the directx was not updated.

Does it flicker in the help test menus? With passive it should not flicker, but I had a case where I would get pixel flashing and that was because I was using a 2008 HDMI cable.

Make sure you are not scaling the picture two times. One time in the graphics panel and another time in the IZ3D drivers will mess up the image. If you leave it with defaults in the nvidia control panel you should be fine.

If that doesn't work, then try the 1.12 drivers instead.

Added link http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5197

Known issues:

1. iZ3D Driver is currently not compatible with Nvidia graphics driver 275.33 for DX10 and DX11 applications. We are currently concentrating on fixing this problem and will deliver solution as soon as we'll find it. In the mean time, please use 270.6 Nvidia drivers.

May apply for nvidia

3D compatibility support thread http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=34848#34848
LG 55" Cinema 3D Passive
VectorRoll

PostPosted: July 26, 2011, 03:41:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had the current DX update saved, but thanks for the link anyways.

That did seem to fix the DX error message from popping up.
I was already updated with it from before. Not sure why the iZ3D driver messes it up after installing.

The flickering did not happen in the test menus. I fixed the flickering though. It was in-game resolution. A stupid mistake on my part. I still had it set to my laptop screen resolution.

My HDMI is a 1.4 cable, if you are wondering. Smile

Thanks for the tip on scaling. I did not touch the setting in the nvidia control panel, other than turning off my laptop screen and setting the resolution for the TV.

Thanks for also pointing out that Known Issue. I am using that nvidia driver (275.33).
lauredis

PostPosted: August 08, 2011, 03:11:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATI 6950 and an lg 2350 (similar to 2342 but its also a tV) passive reald D like monitor

output side by side (YES this is the only method that gave me fantastic results!!)

see here for withcer 2 specific settings

http://www.ddd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1029[/code]
skyguy
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 13, 2011, 02:21:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

lauredis wrote:
ATI 6950 and an lg 2350 (similar to 2342 but its also a tV) passive reald D like monitor

output side by side (YES this is the only method that gave me fantastic results!!)

Does your monitor have firmware updates? See if you could improve the interleaving method.

LG 55" Cinema 3D Passive
eno45

PostPosted: August 19, 2011, 10:36:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello skyguy, Thanks for the time you put into the how to guide. I just registered for this forum since it looks like I will need to use this software to get the 3d working. New to 3d just picked up the LW5600 on Tuesday. So I only run a HTPC & Wii on this TV and will want to figure out 3D BD & Game playback options.

I originally asked if I should sell me 5850 but just sold it and $30 later I will have a 6870 & Dirt3 which I wanted anyway. So even running 3d capatible video card(6870), BD player software (TMT5) the fact that I have a passive 3d display is what keeps me from simple 3d viewing of my games & BD movies?

So generally all the HD3D & 3D vision features that are mentioned by ATI & Nvidia are for shutter glasses correct? Sorry for my ignorance. Many factors to consider with having a functional 3d setup through a PC.

My plan is to use
LG LW5600
TMT5 for BD playback

iz3d to handle 3D?
Either ATI 6850/70 or should I go Nvidia 560 for any better 3D reason??
skyguy
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2011, 03:50:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMT5 may support Side by Side which works well on this tv, or you can use Interleaved which means you won't have to use the 3d remote button to activate it. HD3D and 3d vision is currently just a different way to view 3d in frame-packing mode and and you can use it to watch movies in this format or the first two formats I mentioned earlier on any video card you have listed from the Radeon 5000 and above will support these. The only reason to get the Nvidia card is for 3dtv play support but the resolution will be best only at 720p at 60 Hz which is not ideal to run since Interleaved can run at 1080p max resolution at 60 Hz for games using the IZ3D driver.
LG 55" Cinema 3D Passive
lauredis

PostPosted: August 23, 2011, 04:11:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyguy wrote:
lauredis wrote:

Does your monitor have firmware updates? See if you could improve the interleaving method.

i haven't found any firmware updates for this tv yet. do you have an idea where to get them? Lg site site has no updates!!! http://www.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-3d-monitor-DM2350D.jsp
skyguy
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 23, 2011, 09:29:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your tv have any sharpness controls you can manually make on the screen. It may help.
LG 55" Cinema 3D Passive
lauredis

PostPosted: August 24, 2011, 05:30:33 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyguy wrote:
Does your tv have any sharpness controls you can manually make on the screen. It may help.

Why should I reduce sharpness to 36 according to your suggestion?

I ll check when I get at home and let you know if the result is better.

I am trying witcher 2 with patch 1.35 and the Side b side looks great. but I see ghosting in close objects or character.

Interleaved mode created many artifacts and no 3d