Home
Download
How it works
3D Technologies
Compatible Games
Community
Support

Please note: Due to iZ3D Discontinuing Operations on July 31st, 2012
This forum is no longer moderated by iZ3D staff.

View Watched Topics Join Mailing List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iZ3D Forum Index -> 3D Games Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Topic:  Trine with native iZ3D driver support
hiekkama

PostPosted: October 29, 2010, 12:51:11 PM    Post subject: Trine with native iZ3D driver support Reply with quote

We are in process to release a native iZ3D driver support for Trine, and we'd appreciate if some users would like to test it before it goes live.

There is now a beta patch available for the full Steam version. It can be installed by starting steam.exe with command line "-beta trine1029". Currently the patch has only been tested with anaglyph version, so there might be some issues we have missed. Otherwise it should be equivalent with the 3dvision version we released earlier. If everything goes smoothly, we aim to release an official version next week.

When the game starts up, it sets separation and convergence to default values. After that they can be modified with the usual iZ3D hotkeys, as we don't modify those values on-the-fly.

Any feedback about it is welcome. Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Did you find this post helpful or interesting?
crash27
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 30, 2010, 06:52:35 AM    Post subject: Re: Trine with native iZ3D driver support Reply with quote

hiekkama wrote:
It can be installed by starting steam.exe with command line "-beta trine1029".

sorry but how do you do that?

Zerofool
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 30, 2010, 07:47:51 AM    Post subject: Re: Trine with native iZ3D driver support Reply with quote

crash27 wrote:
hiekkama wrote:
It can be installed by starting steam.exe with command line "-beta trine1029".

sorry but how do you do that?

It's simple. Click start button, then the RUN command. If if you cant find it, use the keyboard shortcut - WIN Button + R. When the RUN window appears type the location of steam.exe and than the parameters. Also, if it doesn't work, try putting the address in "" Wink.
It should look like that:

D:\Steam\steam.exe -beta trine1029
or
"D:\Steam\steam.exe" -beta trine1029

You can also create a shortcut to steam.exe, and in the "Target" field enter:
"D:\Steam\steam.exe" -beta trine1029

View user's profile Send private message Did you find this post helpful or interesting?
crash27
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 30, 2010, 10:45:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks zerofool!
It started in interleaved but in 120hz 3d device it goes black and my pj just says searching. Probably iz3d driver bug. started in tridef but shadows are still wrong.

hiekkama

PostPosted: October 30, 2010, 10:52:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry about the vague instructions and thanks to Zero for more details.

Another important thing with Steam beta patches is, that if steam is already running it has to be closed before running the command. Otherwise the patch won't get applied. This might explain why the shadows were still wrong on your test.
crash27
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 30, 2010, 02:24:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiekkama wrote:
I'm sorry about the vague instructions and thanks to Zero for more details.

Another important thing with Steam beta patches is, that if steam is already running it has to be closed before running the command. Otherwise the patch won't get applied. This might explain why the shadows were still wrong on your test.

I restarted steam befor playing but it was with tridef software where the shadows were messed up not iz3d because iz3d just gives black screen with 120hz 3d device driver on. It worked on anaglyph but I can not see well enough to tell about shadows and it worked in interleaved but I don't have my display set up for that right now so again I can not tell about shadows. I would love to see it work with the 120hz 3d device driver though. By the way it's a very cool game.

hiekkama

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 02:06:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash27 wrote:
I restarted steam befor playing but it was with tridef software where the shadows were messed up not iz3d because iz3d just gives black screen with 120hz 3d device driver on. It worked on anaglyph but I can not see well enough to tell about shadows and it worked in interleaved but I don't have my display set up for that right now so again I can not tell about shadows. I would love to see it work with the 120hz 3d device driver though.

Oh ok, thank you for trying it out. Do you have this iZ3D 120Hz problem with just Trine or does it happen with all games?

If it is just Trine, then I wonder what could be causing this. I'm guessing here, but a question to iZ3D developers - by default Trine sets smallest refresh rate that is >= 60Hz (= 60Hz in almost all cases). Does this interfere with 120Hz output or does iZ3D override all such settings? If this is the problem then it would be possible to override refresh rate by manually editing Trine options configs.

crash27 wrote:
By the way it's a very cool game.

Thanks!
crash27
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 03:56:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

no my other games do not do this. I think it's a driver bug because of the links below. I opened the options.txt file but could not find anything referring to the refresh rate.
http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=3510
http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=3506

hopefully iz3d developers can help

hiekkama

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 06:32:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash27 wrote:
no my other games do not do this. I think it's a driver bug because of the links below. I opened the options.txt file but could not find anything referring to the refresh rate.

If you want to try changing the default refresh rate, you need to open "steamapps/common/trine/config/options.txt". That file is divided to sections like Controllers, Display, Graphics etc. Add the following line to Display section:

refresh_rate_override = 120

Line above will force Trine to start with the given refresh rate. This options.txt file has to be made read-only as well. Otherwise the content will be overwritten by the game and launcher.
crash27
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 06:50:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok great that fixed it however the shadows are still not right.
hiekkama

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 08:01:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash27 wrote:
ok great that fixed it however the shadows are still not right.

Nice to know what caused it to not work with 120Hz output. Now a question to iZ3D devs - can you override refresh rate settings in device creation when your driver is set to 120Hz output? I'd guess quite a few games would suffer from the same problem as Trine.

As for shadows not working then something is wrong with the patch. Either the patch didn't get installed or it isn't detecting the iZ3D driver correctly. Has anyone else tried to run the beta patch?

Sadly, the only way to see if the beta patch has actually been applied is to run Trine both with and without iZ3D drivers enabled. In 3D mode during gameplay the player UI (health and mana bars, portraits) should be much smaller and more transparent, as those were causing eye strain otherwise. If in-game UI stays same both iZ3D driver enabled and disabled, then the patch prolly hasn't been installed. You said earlier that you restarted steam before starting Trine. Due to how Steam works, it first has to be closed and only then you can run the beta command. Otherwise it will be silently ignored.

In any case, thank you for the effort you've put in. I'll try to look into this more on monday when I get back to the office.
crash27
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 08:38:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only did I turn off steam first but it downloaded something to trine when it restarted however the player UI looks the same with the driver enabled and disabled.

edit: ok sorry mate I made a shortcut but it didn't install the patch. I copied it right from the shortcut to the run command and now it's perfect. Thanks!

Looking forward to Trine2.

bobduder
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 09:27:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Heikkama,

Just out of curiosity, will you guys be updating the demo to incorporate native iZ3D? I don't own the game (yet) but would love to see how well it works. Thanks in advance!

BD

Rule #2 - Don't believe the hype.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Did you find this post helpful or interesting?
hiekkama

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 10:54:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash27 wrote:
edit: ok sorry mate I made a shortcut but it didn't install the patch. I copied it right from the shortcut to the run command and now it's perfect. Thanks!

Looking forward to Trine2.

I'm glad it works, enjoy the game! Very Happy

bobduder wrote:
Just out of curiosity, will you guys be updating the demo to incorporate native iZ3D? I don't own the game (yet) but would love to see how well it works. Thanks in advance!.

I don't know yet. We have been thinking about updating the demo every now and then, but so far it hasn't been done. There are a lot of fixes and tweaks (multiple keyboard/mice for co-op, better support for gamepads, fixed antialiasing, 3dvision/iz3d, etc) that have been done since release, but so far we haven't got around to do it. It's quite a lot of work as there are so many changes that we'd pretty much need to do a new demo instead of trying to patch the old one.

As it really isn't my decision (I'm just a poor programmer Wink) I can get an official yes/no next week.
crash27
Top Contributor

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 11:04:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobduder wrote:
Hello Heikkama,

Just out of curiosity, will you guys be updating the demo to incorporate native iZ3D? I don't own the game (yet) but would love to see how well it works. Thanks in advance!

BD

with the fixes it's one of the best looking games i've seen in s3d! More than worth the $20.00.