Home
Download
How it works
3D Technologies
Compatible Games
Community
Support

Please note: Due to iZ3D Discontinuing Operations on July 31st, 2012
This forum is no longer moderated by iZ3D staff.

View Watched Topics Join Mailing List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iZ3D Forum Index -> FAQ Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Topic:  Guig's separation and convergence guide
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2010, 02:52:23 PM    Post subject: Guig's separation and convergence guide Reply with quote

The guide is now not up to date and I will not upgrade it. I transfered it into immersipedia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll explain here the settings for separation and convergence in real-time 3D applications such as gaming.
These explanations are general and common to all 3D drivers such as iZ3D or 3Dvision. I'll add maybe few specificities regarding some drivers.

The original French guide is here.

Convergence and separation name depending on drivers:
On iZ3D, convergence and separation are not renamed.
On nvidia 3D vision, separation is named depth.
On E-dimensional, separation is named "Depth", convergence is "near objects adjustment".
On tridef, something approaching is: "scene depth" (separation) and "percent behind screen" (convergence).

I will not give you below a particular method, because it changes depending on the type of game played. Instead I'll try to give you the necessary knowledge so you can easily find the setting you prefer.
Each person perceives the 3D in its own way and perhaps more or less strong. Additionally some people do not perceive at all the stereoscopy (10% to 25% of the population according to sources). Furthermore, stereoscopic perception is different depending on the size and distance from the screen.

You can also read the MTBS's stereo 3D setting guide It's another way to explain convergence and separation, but its good too.

The examples of stereoscopic pair that you find below are in "cross-view" or "crossed-eye", it is actually .jps images renamed into .jpeg, or sometimes png, so they are side by side, right image first (left and right images are inverted in relation to the pure side by side). The advantage is that it is possible to see the stereoscopy without 3D glasses or screen (the so-called Cross Eye Free-view). See here and here to know how to do, take the few minutes necessary to learn this method (but not pushy if you do not succeed). I strongly advise you, if you can see in 3D with Cross Eye Free-view, to use this method when looking at schematic view examples, so you avoid of going back and forth between your browser and your 3D visualization software.
All images in this tutorial are only thumbnails, click to view full size image or the corresponding gallery. They are the main part of this guide!! My screen is a 3D 24''1920 * 1200, so unless I stated otherwise, all images are calibrated for a 24''screen 1920 * 1200, the 3D effect will be reduced on a smaller screen and increased (too much) on a larger screen, so in order to viewing on a giant screen you need to reduce the size of the image or change the horizontal parallax (but in this case you risk losing the value of the sample).
Schematic stereoscopic pairs (the legos) are made to be seen in windowed mode. In full screen mode, they would be pixelated and the effect could be so exaggerated that they might be impossible to see properly, moreover explanatory value could be lost.

Quote:
Warning, the adjustment of separation in 3D video and image viewing software is in fact the horizontal parallax, it entirely shifts a view compared to the other. In games, it corresponds to a kind of weird convergence, considering that it also causes to stretch the image to preserve the size of origin. In fact this adjustment especially makes it possible to correct imperfectly certain defects of camera or of screen in the case of the use of dual projector or planar system.

Table of Contents:

Introduction
  1. Basic Explanations
    1. Effect of convergence and the separation on the feeling of 3D.
    2. Effect on the stereo pair.
    3. Limits and consequences

2. Advanced explanations.

1. Separation symmetrical or asymmetrical.
    2. Artifacts due to excessive adjustments.
    3. The limit of screen pop-out: window violation
    4. iZ3D driver-specific settings.

Guig:man, not a playmate; simple customer!

Last edited by Guig2000 on April 27, 2014, 10:14:21 AM; edited 25 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Did you find this post helpful or interesting?
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2010, 02:52:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guide is now not up to date and I will not upgrade it. I transfered it into immersipedia

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Basic explanations:
  1. Effect of convergence and the separation on the feeling of 3D.

I initially will explain by examples and diagrams which is the influence of the separation and convergence on the feeling of 3D.
REMINDER:
  • Click on the pictures to see them in real size.
  • Images made and calibrated for 24'' 1920*1200 screens.
  • the blue legos must be seen in windowed mode.
  • All the explanation is on the diagrams, click on them!

• Full in-depth adjustment: one of the two most used adjustments.
    This adjustment consists in revealing the image in-depth behind the screen as if we looked through a window.
    schematic example:
    Screenshots examples using full in-depth adjustment: .

• Warning with the adjustments all in popping out, often, the effect 3D will be destroyed: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26
    This adjustment consists in revealing the image behind the screen as if the objects popping out of this one.
    schematic example:. In-game example: I do not know any game which looks correct in full pop-out, in fact I think that no game or driver is able to currently do that correctly. You have an example nevertheless here (it is anaglyph red-cyan), in the second image (noted 2. Pop-out 3D). But personally to correctly see the effect of exit of screen, I must tighten my two arms to mask the edges left and low of the image with my hands.

• Max 3D adjustment (hyper-stereoscopy) , impressive but take care of tiredness!
    This adjustment consists to use a very strong even exaggerated S3D effect. So much so that to look at alternatively between the background and the foreground is a true gymnastics for the eyes.
    schematic image Example:.
    In-game examples, calibrated for a screen of:
    24'':,
    50'': ,
    100'':.

• Almost flat adjustment, used by many newcomers in the 3D but also to limit the impact of too many 3D artifacts. Allows an easy vision.
    This adjustment consists to use a not very strong stereoscopic 3D effect. However in some cases, the 3D can appear sufficient, thanks to the perspective (in a corridor for example).
    schematic example:
    In-game examples: Other captures of AvP 3 of indy360 on the iZ3D forum Other images of BF bad comp II by Indy 360 (lots of artifacts)..

• Average adjustment: this is the type of adjustment the most used on big screen and one of the most generally used.
    This adjustment consists in revealing the main character or the main objects with depth zero (on the level of the screen). The intensity of the 3D is balanced and match as close as possible to the perspective of the image. The image thus appears divided between depth and pop-out.
    schematic example: .
    In-game examples: , Galery: Civilization IV: .

Here an interesting schematic example: .
The object on top is seen in-depth and the one on bottom popping out of screen. The two legos have the same size on the screen. However, when looking them in 3D, the one in the bottom (which popping out of the screen) appears smaller, while the one in the top (in-depth) seems larger.
If you think about it, it makes sense: in the real-world, an object very close to your eyes will fill your fields of vision even if it is small, while a remote object will have to be very large for filling your fields of vision as much that the close object. Consequently, for the same size drawn on the screen (so a space taken given in our fields of vision), the object appears all the more large as convergence and the separation place it far. And vice versa the object appears all the more small as it pop out of the screen.

Quote:
In short:
The separation is the scale of the 3D.
Consequently:

• more separation = 3D more strong.
  • less separation = 3D flattened

Convergence regulates the plane of the 3D world, of which the depth is 0, by doing this the 3D world is entirely shifted ahead (out of screen) or in-depth.
For the same size drawn with the screen, an object seeming close in 3D seems smaller, conversely the same distant object in 3D seems larger.
Consequently:

• More positive convergence = more objects which pop out of the screen and model sized effect or headstock.
  • More negative convergence = more in-depth objects and real-world sized effect.

Last edited by Guig2000 on April 27, 2014, 10:14:59 AM; edited 27 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Did you find this post helpful or interesting?
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2010, 02:53:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b. Effects on the stereoscopic pair.

REMINDER:
  • Click on the images to see them in the real size.
  • Images made and calibrated for 24 1920 * 1200 screens.
  • The blue legos must be seen in windowed mode.

Our brain obtain the stereoscopic 3D effect by interpreting the combination of what is seen by our right eye and our left eye. So the stereoscopy of the 3D screens consists in sending a different image for each one of our eyes.
Let us use again some of the diagrammatic examples higher and superimpose the two views via the anaglyph red-cyan optimized Dubois format, the right view in cyan, the left view in red:

Max 3D:
<=>

Weak 3D:
<=>
After viewing this samples, we can deduce from it that the more strong the Stereo3D is, the more the shift between the two views and between each level of depth is significant, also the geometry is modified: In fact they are the angles formed of the lines connecting the close objects to the distance objects which are modified.

Comparison deep/pop-out:
<=>
After viewing of all these images, we can deduce from it that:

• Where the left and right views are superimposed, the objects appear with depth zero, i.e. the level of the screen.
  • The in-depth objects are shifted on the left for the left eye, on the right for the right eye, the shift is reversed when an object pop out of the screen.

If we looks at there more closely, we notes on the last example that in fact the views on the top and on the bottom are identical except: they are shifted in the window of the image. However the two objects have not the same depth. Therefore, vary convergence just consists in shifting the right and left views one compared to the other without modify them.
The example taken in-game confirms it: if we compares both below screenshots 3D, we sees that convergence is not the same one: the first image is in-depth pure, the second has significant pop-out. And if the look at the right-side of the map, we see that the angle that it form is always the same one between the two views, the right view was only shifted. The first screenshot is voluntarily very difficult or even impossible to see in 3d, except on small screen, because of the separation, voluntarily exaggerated.

Quote:
In short:
the separation modifies the angle between the two views. By more or less shifting the objects according to the distance. Showed in the next schematic by the green angle.
Consequently:

• more separation = two very different views.
  • less separation = two almost identical views.

convergence, quite simply, shifts entirely and laterally the two views one compared to the other. Showed on the picture below by the orange double-arrows.

When the two views are superimposed:

• The more the objects are close to the user, the more they are shifted on the right for the left eye, on the left for the right eye.
  • When the left and right objects are merged, they are at the depth of the screen.
  • The deeper the objects are, the more they are shifted on the left for the left eye, on the right for the right eye.

Picture showing the two views of a stereoscopic pair superimposed in one:

The two red lines are ONE red line drawn on the ground. So they show the separation depending on the depth.
When the line of each view crossing each other, it's the zero deep, in front, it's popping out, on the back, it's in depth.
So the chick is popping out, the tree is at screen depth, the sun and cloud in depth.
The green angle depends on separation, more separation is increased, more the angle between the two red lines is increased.
The orange shift show the convergence: when we modify the convergence, the two lines are horizontally shifted compared to each other. So it moves the "zero parallax point" where the two lines are crossing.

Last edited by Guig2000 on April 27, 2014, 10:15:21 AM; edited 14 times in total
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2010, 02:53:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

c. Limits and consequences.

REMINDER:

Maximum separation:
When we looks at an object in space, we cross eyes more or less depending on the distance. When we looks at the infinite, the eyes do not cross any more, their axis are parallel. This is why, in stereoscopic vision, it will be difficult to correctly see in-depth objects whose separation is higher than the space of your eyes. Because this case does not exist in the real-world. If when we looks on a 3D screen, some objects are in this case, we are in diverging vision: our eyes are pointing apart from each other. Normal people can have a diverging vision only very weak. The space between the eyes is approximately 6-7 cm. This is why on this image that I had already posted in the preceding message, it is very difficult to look at the horizon on a 22 and larger screen: the space between the two is of more than 8 cm in this case:

Large and small screen:
It is one of the reasons which make that the size of the screen influences the adjustments: with the same adjustment, the separation in centimeter will be weak when we looks at the horizon on a small screen, while on giant screen, we quickly risks to exceed the limit of 7 cm.
This is why the more the 3D image is displayed on a large surface, the more the relative depth decreases. In order to maintain a good 3D feeling and to decrease the least possible the parameter of separation, we regulates the game with an increased convergence, as I had shown higher here:, there , or here: .

Limit of popping out of screen.:
The popping-out effect works badly when the objects jumping-out cross the edges of the screen, especially on the right and on the left. depending on the user, when popping out of screen objects cross the edges, it lead to a loss of the stereo3D effect more or less extended on this object and the objects bordering, either lead to an increased tiredness, or both!
I detail this phenomenon in the advanced explanations part.
Some driver or tools are able to eliminate this kind of issue like the "VRBoost" for Vireio Perception.
The other limit is the actual distance between the user and the screen: if you are too near of your screen, you will experience "Z compression": the popping out objects will appear with less 3D, if you're really too near, the 3D will be totally lost on this objects. At the contrary, if you're far from the screen, you will experience a Z magnification where you see too much 3D.

Quote:
A way of regulating your convergence and your separation:
You are informed now enough to carry out your first adjustments of convergence and separation. While starting by removing your 3D glasses: set the convergence point on the limit between the objects of which you want that they pop out of the screen and those which will be in-depth. Then move the camera of the game so as to see a remote point then increase the separation so as to have the distant objects quite separated while respecting the limit of 6-7 cm (take margin). Then put the glasses 3D and adjust the separation so that the stereoscopy seems to correspond to the perspective: I.e. when you have the impression that a corridor of 20m is indeed 20m long.
Unfortunately, you will have to make compromises, because this adjustment can be well correct in a situation of the game and not with the other, (often because of a zoom or certain kinematics in 3D). To help you, the 3D drivers allow to record several adjustments and to recall them with shortcut keys while in game. The autofocus functionality will also help you, it modifies the convergence in real time, but it is more or less effective according to the company and the version of the driver.

Last edited by Guig2000 on April 27, 2014, 10:15:45 AM; edited 14 times in total
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2010, 02:53:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Advanced explanations.

REMINDER:

a. Symmetrical or asymmetrical separation:
There are two method of separation in the transformation of a monoscopic sight into stereoscopic sight: the symmetrical separation or the asymmetrical separation.
The symmetrical separation consists in placing the fields of visions right and left on both sides of the monoscopic sight. This adjustment have to be privileged when the game is entirely in 3D, including the mouse pointer, or if there is no mouse pointer in the game.

The asymmetrical separation consists in defining the field of monoscopic vision as one of the two fields of stereoscopic vision:

The stereoscopic effect is quite the same one, considering as the separation and the angle between the two sights remains the same one. But the user does not look exactly in the same direction.
This method has the advantage of preserving the same rendering as without the 3D driver, which guarantees a not deteriorated rendering by this last on this sight. It thus allows a perfect superimposition of the objects in 2D and 3D on the original view: these 2D objects are in general the mouse (almost all games), the cross of aiming in FPS and various icons and textual information.
Example on this screenshot of supcom: . On a view we can see that the life-bars are correctly aligned with the units on which they are dependent on, and completely shifted on the other view.

Another example, still on supcom/FA: . The same thing as previously, but with the strategic icons.
If we had used the symmetrical method the shift between 2d and 3D would have taken place on the two images, it would have been necessary that the user clicks somewhere between the two views of the 3D object to select this one. Not easy!
With the asymmetrical method, it is necessary to choose the view corresponding to your dominant eye as identical to the monoscopic view. It made that your brain will privilege the good view automatically, aiming, whatsoever it is with the cursor or the cross in the FPS, will be much easier.

Last edited by Guig2000 on April 27, 2014, 10:16:04 AM; edited 9 times in total
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2010, 02:54:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

b. Artifacts due to excessive adjustments:

REMINDER:

Let us take again the 4 last screenshots of the preceding message because they use rather extreme adjustments:
We notes on each one of it that it misses polygons on the edges of pictures. It is normal and frequent in many games: the game sends to the graphics card only the part of the 3D world necessary to draw the picture. However the addition of the fields of vision of the two images of the stereoscopic pair is larger than the monoscopic sight: we sees objects which we are not supposed to see into mono. When the adjustments are too large it thus misses sometimes polygons. This problem is accentuated when the asymmetrical mode of separation is in use: there is twice less margin, considering the whole of the shifts are done on only one sight. Let us take again the two diagrams of the fields of vision already shown higher:

We can see in the first diagrams, that if we had shifted the two cameras excessively (more separation), or brought the 0 parallax point too much close (more negative convergence), the left and right field of vision would have gone beyond the 3D zone which the graphic card knows. On the second diagrams (asymmetry of the shifting), we see that the right view also partially get out of the 3D zone which the graphics card known.
This problem appears especially on games where the cameras are on top of a large area, i.e. as a majority of the RTS and the planes games. I never encountered this problem on a FPS.

Some driver or tools are able to eliminate this kind of issue like the "VRBoost" for Vireio Perception.

Last edited by Guig2000 on April 27, 2014, 10:16:21 AM; edited 10 times in total
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2010, 02:54:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

c. The limit of screen pop-out: window violation

REMINDER:

Explanation from another site: http://www.pikespeakphoto.com/grid.html

Here how I feel the stereo3D when there are objects jumping out of screen which cross the edges of the screen or the image:
I do not have sources or of literature there above, but according to my experience, I have the impression that the vision of the depth is relative: we see that an object is more or less deep than another, but to say that an object is at such distance without a fixed point is impossible.
When a popping out object cross the lower or higher edge of the screen, this edge become a fixed point , which makes me lose part of the effect of jumping out, while if I concentrate on another part of this object, I see well that it is popping-out, as a result, I have a strange impression: I see well the stereo3D of the whole scene, but I do not know too much any more if it is really in popping out.
When a popping out object cross the right or left side of the screen, I see like a flat zone, and a whole part of the stereo3D of the image become vague, I must concentrate on part of the image distant from these objects to preserve the 3D feeling.

They are my personal feelings, they will not be inevitably the same ones for you: you could be less affected than me on the loss of 3D, but you could also have headaches and ocular tiredness moreover.

Anyway an object jumping out of the screen make technical problems when it crosses one of the left or right edges, it is an impossible case in the real life: the object popping out is cut by the edges of the screen, which are behind this object, whereas it is the object popping-out which should mask the edges of the screen. Confused Indeed, a screen will not display an object which masks its own edges.

Schematic illustration, I masked the edges in fact, but it's the same result than a screen with large edges:
- > - > - >
Other examples, with lines of perspective, which contribute to the perception of the 3D:
- > .

Example: the end of the roof of the building is popping out of and the his left edge is cut by the border of the image.

In my personal case, I manage to see the stereo3D (approximatively) if only one side is masked , but when they are both, my 3D perception is very lowered. I leave you with your personal conclusions on the effects of the edges on your 3D perception.

The other limit is the actual distance between the user and the screen: if you are too near of your screen, you will experience "Z compression": the popping out objects will appear with less 3D, if you're really too near, the 3D will be totally lost on this objects. At the contrary, if you are too much far from the screen the 3D will appear too much large.

Last edited by Guig2000 on April 27, 2014, 10:16:40 AM; edited 13 times in total
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 21, 2010, 02:54:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

d. iZ3D driver-specific settings:

Autofocus system:
This function is effective since the version 1.11RC1 of the driver. The only other version of the driver containing a valuable autofocus system is the 1.11b1.
The autofocus system adjusts in real time convergence by carrying out tests on what is displayed.
We can adjust autofocus from the control panel, in the profile dedicated to the game which we wishes to regulate.
Unfortunately we cannot regulate easily if we wishes popping-out or not, the autofocus system seems to try to make a intermediate adjustment.

This function tests a part of the screen. The larger the zone of test is, the more the autofocus system will give a result related with the global 3D scene, within a certain limit, but more it will cost frames per seconds.
We set the size of this zone by using the functions width" and "height". If you see that the autofocus system shake with any little grass/stones/bird which passes by there, it should be increased. I in general advise to rather increase it in width than in height.

The slide high/low makes it possible to move the zone of test to the top and bottom. Placing it too much on top can make the autofocus system doing anything good by trying to put the sky at the screen depth. It should not be forgotten either that in bottoms there is often the GUI/HUD which are in 2D, making test in this zones would be a waste of time. It is necessary to try to place the zone of test on the part of the screen where we want that the depth is from approximately 0.

Speed: the more the number is raised, the more precise and fast the autofocus system is and the more it consumes computing power. Increase this value if you note an erratic behavior: message too much separation, the autofocus system seems to block or reach the limits max and min, inexplicably.

Maximum shift: maximum absolute convergence value not to be exceeded. Warning, the control panel is buggy and return all the time to 0.2. That affects the real parameter only when you click on "Apply".

Separation scale:
This number simply multiply the separation. For example 100 of separation on scale 1 equalizes 200 of separation on scale 0.5.
Generally it should be left to 1, use with parsimony.

Increase this number is useful if the value of maximum separation (5000, except 1.11b2 which is of 1000) is insufficient.
Decrease this number is useful if there is a separation lower than 10%, to make a more precise adjustment.

It should be noticed that a high separation scale value can destabilize the autofocus system. It make me think that a low value can stabilize it, but it is only a speculation .

Quote:
I hope to have been useful to you and that you understood the way of regulating convergence and separation for your favorites applications.
Enjoy!!

Last edited by Guig2000 on April 27, 2014, 10:16:59 AM; edited 4 times in total
Guig2000
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 22, 2010, 03:32:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the "gushing" word inappropriate when speaking of popping out of screen?

Whitch synonymous expression can I use instead of "popping out of screen"?

popping out of screen objects = gushing objects?

Last edited by Guig2000 on March 24, 2011, 03:27:51 PM; edited 1 time in total
Welder
Web Master/Support

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 11:15:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guig2000 wrote:

Witch synonymous expression can I use instead of "popping out of screen"?

Gushing refers to rushing liquid usually, not solid objects.

You could use "Jumping"

BlackQ
Chief Annoying Officer

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 10:43:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Guig2000!

This is great explanation!!! Thank you a lot!

crash27
Top Contributor

PostPosted: August 24, 2010, 01:57:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guig2000 wrote:

I think the word you are looking for is protruding

Welder
Web Master/Support

PostPosted: August 24, 2010, 10:04:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash27 wrote:
Guig2000 wrote:

I think the word you are looking for is protruding

That would be a good way as well :)

ne0ge0

PostPosted: August 24, 2010, 07:02:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Guig2000 for this overview of seperation and convergence and its role in stereoscopic 3d effects. Very good explanations that will help newbies like me!
Welder
Web Master/Support

PostPosted: August 25, 2010, 10:27:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stickied :)